Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Characterized by unscrupulous control of a situation or person.‘she was sly, selfish, and manipulative’
scheming, calculating, cunning, crafty, wily, shrewd, devious, designing, conniving, machiavellian, artful, guileful, slippery, slick, sly, unscrupulous, disingenuous, media-savvyView synonyms
- ‘My sister had told me of incidents of violence in the past, and of controlling and manipulative behaviour.’
- ‘But what I admire, or more accurately, am in awe of, is his manipulative ability.’
- ‘Police say he was manipulative, dishonest, cunning and intimidating.’
- ‘I'm increasingly angry at my brother and his wife for their manipulative ways.’
- ‘You're not calculating, not manipulative, not any of those things.’
- ‘He has been shown to be dishonest, calculating, egocentric, manipulative and a control freak.’
- ‘There's something very calculating and manipulative about how he does things.’
- ‘It was silly and manipulative, but I liked it anyway, in part because of how silly and manipulative it was.’
- ‘She was certainly clever enough, but her nature was not conniving or manipulative in any way.’
- ‘For that, she is condemned as secretive and manipulative.’
- ‘Evie is a manipulative, dangerous and damaged character, but Tracy is blind to this and easily gets swallowed up in Evie's world.’
- ‘It fitted with his manipulative desire to control and dominate.’
- ‘Why is it when, after greatly resisting temptation you eventually weaken and submit to its manipulative forces?’
- ‘I don't want to hear about your mind games or your manipulative tricks anymore.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the excruciating, manipulative girlfriend he's been trying to dump might have cancer.’
- ‘They are trained to perform osteopathic manipulative treatment.’
- ‘They were shrewd, but not smart; manipulative but not masterful.’
- ‘When the crown passed to Edward, just ten years old and physically frail, the way opened for manipulative adults to seize control.’
- ‘Francois Truffaut once said that the documentary is a thousand times more manipulative and deceptive than the work of fiction.’
- ‘But what begins as manipulative flirtation soon turns into a dangerous and erotic game of passion, power and betrayal.’
2Relating to manipulation of an object or part of the body.‘a manipulative skill’
manual, done with one's hands, dexterousView synonyms
- ‘He would also be unable to undertake employment which involved prolonged fine manipulative skills.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.