One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to Manichaeism.
- ‘The script was used to write Manichaean literature in many different languages to spread its teachings.’
- ‘The cardinal presented a strange, Manichean interpretation of twentieth-century history.’
- ‘However, haunted not only by his Manichean past but, soon, by Pelagian boasts of human moral competence, Augustine was never able to shake his anxieties about freedom.’
- ‘She denies any supernatural or Manichean force of evil.’
- ‘Members of the Manichaean movement were divided into the ‘chosen’ and their lay supporters.’
- 1.1Philosophy Of or characterized by dualistic contrast or conflict between opposites.
- ‘And if good can come from evil, does this undermine a simplistic Manichean view of morality?’
- ‘Both men felt an early attraction to religious faith, a Manichaean inner conflict between flesh and spirit, a difficulty with responsibility and commitment, and a genius for humor and satire.’
- ‘Impatience and Manichean thinking are among the burdens of youth politics, whether in Berkeley or Cairo.’
- ‘In the movies, similar extravagance only fuels childish fantasies of omnipotence and Manichaean notions of how evil exists in the world.’
- ‘This worldview has bifurcated worldly politics into a transcendently significant battle that has a Manichean logic of absolute good and utter evil.’
An adherent of Manichaeism.
- ‘Later Manicheans seem to distance themselves from Christianity - which would appear to agree with what Mani wrote.’
- ‘In modern terms Manichaeans employed a very good marketing strategy in terms of promoting their religion.’
- ‘A Manichean who believes the world is essentially evil will draw radically different moral lessons than a pantheist who finds God present everywhere in his creation.’
- ‘Martin declares that he is a Manichaean, someone who believes that the material world is fundamentally evil.’
- ‘Augustine was particularly sensitive to this need, because for many years as a young man he was a Manichean and hence denied the authenticity and relevance of the Old Testament for salvation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.