Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small concretion consisting of manganese and iron oxides, occurring in large numbers in ocean-floor sediment.
- ‘It was on this leg of the voyage that they encountered the largest field of manganese nodules they had yet chanced across.’
- ‘The manganese nodules in Table 1 were those collected from the sea-bed of off-shore California.’
- ‘But as Challenger approached the West Indies the crew encountered a phenomenon that dwarfed in importance even the discovery of manganese nodules.’
- ‘A co-occurrence of these two species is known from only one locality, where they were collected from manganese nodules immediately above the Grimmeri Bed.’
- ‘Crusts of iron-manganese oxides and manganese nodules occur, particularly in red clays.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.