One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The chemical element of atomic number 25, a hard gray metal of the transition series. Manganese is an important component of special steels and magnetic alloys.
- ‘Less abundant elements, which are equally necessary for life, include calcium, manganese, iron, and iodine.’
- ‘Groundwater also contains salts of calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese.’
- ‘Offshore oil and gold are exploited, and there are deposits of iron ore, copper, manganese, uranium, silica, and titanium.’
- ‘They include magnesium, calcium, iron, sulfur, molybdenum, boron, zinc, copper and manganese.’
- ‘These changes were associated with large increases in phosphorus, potassium, zinc, iron, manganese, and copper.’
- ‘The mineral elements most likely to be deficient in vineyards are nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, boron, iron, manganese, and magnesium.’
- ‘By far the most important use of manganese is in the production of alloys, primarily steel alloys.’
- ‘Nitrates and trace metals, such as iron, manganese, copper, and zinc, should be kept to a minimum.’
- ‘Water from some sites contained manganese, often a component of the mineral-rich water discharged from vents.’
- ‘Daily intake of small amounts of manganese is needed for growth and good health in children.’
- ‘Also, urinalysis showed high levels of potassium, manganese, and calcium.’
- ‘The list includes sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron, cobalt, copper, zinc, and molybdenum.’
- ‘Carbon-manganese steels are in general use for the rails; too much carbon makes the steel brittle, too much manganese makes it hard to weld.’
- ‘Unlike metals such as iron, copper, magnesium, manganese, and nickel, gold has no natural biological role.’
- ‘The oxygens which were originally attached to the manganese are still attached in the neutral complex.’
- ‘These alloys usually contain manganese as an impurity because wrought metal scrap is used in preparing them.’
- ‘Cobalt, nickel and manganese are metals with iron-like properties.’
- ‘Most Nebraska soils contain sufficient levels of potassium, magnesium, manganese, iron and sulfur for sunflower levels.’
- ‘And it provided vital information on lime requirement, phosphorus, potash, magnesium, copper, manganese and zinc.’
- ‘Uptake of aluminum, iron and manganese has not been as extensively studied in algae.’
- 1.1 The black dioxide of manganese as an industrial raw material or additive, especially in glassmaking.
Late 17th century: via French from Italian manganese, alteration of medieval Latin magnesia (see magnesia).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.