One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a manful way; bravely.‘his boys strove manfully to accomplish the task’
bravely, courageously, boldly, gallantly, pluckily, heroically, intrepidly, fearlessly, valiantly, dauntlesslyView synonyms
- ‘He toiled manfully with the task, bravely maintaining that the national picture was not as grim as the newspapers would have us believe.’
- ‘He manfully fielded tough questions about precisely how brilliant his leadership was and the personal toll of improving the lives of every living creature in his kingdom.’
- ‘Dawkins writes of how he manfully and loudly sings it the ‘correct’ way when he's at one of these gatherings, but to no avail.’
- ‘You cannot win without scoring, and aside from Rooney, who was trying so manfully to be all things to England's attack, nobody but Owen was going to finish the job.’
- ‘England coped manfully without him, but they will rue his absence if Australia continue to fight hard today and finally top 400 for the first time in the series.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.