One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Resolute or brave, especially in the face of adversity.‘a manful attempt to smile’
brave, courageous, bold, plucky, gallant, heroic, intrepid, fearless, valiant, valorous, dauntless, doughtyView synonyms
- ‘This second time, Selby made a manful attempt with both hands to make the catch.’
- ‘There are a number of places where, naturally, I would not have worded that defense as Joe has, but on the whole I am grateful for his manful attempt to read what I said charitably.’
- ‘The industry has been making manful efforts to curtail production so that prices will not go through the floor every time that there is a pick-up in demand.’
- ‘He himself seems to feel he has to make manful, self-deprecating jokes about having his election stolen.’
- ‘Frazer has done a manful job in that position but I know he is ready for a rest and his strength is in a defensive role.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.