One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, long-legged, endangered wild dog that has a reddish coat with black hair across the shoulders and large erect ears, native to the grasslands of South America.
- ‘Possibly extinct in Uruguay, the remaining maned wolves live in Bolivia and Brazil, with a handful in Argentina and Paraguay, and just a single pair in Peru.’
- ‘Eighty percent of captive and wild maned wolves suffer from a genetic disease, and in addition they are susceptible to the common diseases of domestic dogs.’
- ‘The long thin legs, which may serve to help the maned wolf to see above tall grass, grade from red to black at their lower portions.’
- ‘The maned wolf, a solitary denizen of South America's savannah grasslands, is the continent's largest wild canid, by far.’
- ‘The maned wolf is believed to have supernatural and medicinal powers.’
- ‘The fur of the maned wolf is worn in South America as a good luck charm.’
- ‘What is worse, her hair resembles the russet hue of a maned wolf.’
- ‘Adaptable and resourceful, individual maned wolves range through enormous territories where they live off everything from rodents and birds to venomous snakes and berries.’
- ‘The Brazilian government has classified the maned wolf as an endangered species.’
- ‘The maned wolf of South America is a magnificent animal with a pointed muzzle and very large erect ears.’
- ‘At present it is not known how many maned wolves remain in the wild.’
- ‘True wolves are strict carnivores but the maned wolf is omnivorous.’
- ‘The long legs of the maned wolf allow it to see better in the tall grasses of the savannah.’
- ‘I have heard of them before, but to see a maned wolf in person is simply amazing.’
- ‘Unlike most other wolves, maned wolves are omnivores.’
- ‘Certainly, paternal care is the general rule amongst canids so it might be expected in the maned wolf.’
- ‘Adult maned wolves weigh 50-60 pounds and usually travel alone, staying in pairs only during breeding seasons.’
- ‘In Brazil's Pantanal, South America's largest wetlands, you'll stalk giant anteaters, armadillos, maned wolves, and jaguars.’
- ‘This extreme and varied habitat supports 3,500 plant species, 650 bird species, 260 types of fish, and more than 100 different mammals, including such endangered species as the jaguar, the maned wolf, and the giant otter.’
- ‘They considered deleterious human influence in the habitat of maned wolves to be more intense in the southeast than in the midwestern Brazilian states.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.