One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plain jacket, typically of embroidered silk, with a mandarin collar.
- ‘Young scholars bravely wore Western-style suits, abandoning robes and mandarin jackets and cutting their braids.’
- ‘When the Manchu took control of the country, men were forced to wear long queues and mandarin jackets over their gowns.’
- ‘During the beginning of spring or late autumn, people usually put a sleeveless waistcoat outside the long gown to replace the mandarin jacket.’
- ‘Chinese acrobats somersaulted alongside him on the lacquer-red runway, and in their mandarin jackets and pajama pants they got the most wearable outfits in the entire show.’
- ‘Wearing cheongsams and traditional mandarin jackets, 25 foreign English teachers gathered to share their experiences and bid farewell to their colleagues.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.