One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aquatic mammal with a rounded tail flipper, living in shallow coastal waters and adjacent rivers of the tropical Atlantic.
- ‘While conducting night surveys for crocodiles, Klein sighted three manatees in Laguna Siksa.’
- ‘The death toll was 325, with careless boaters killing 81 of those manatees.’
- ‘They provide food and shelter for thousands of species, including endangered manatees, dugongs and sea turtles.’
- ‘In recent years, a manatee traveled to New York and another swam up the Mississippi River!’
- ‘Imagine what a giraffe, or an elephant, or a manatee looked like to the first Europeans to see them.’
- ‘Monkey River is 45 minutes to the south by boat, through mangrove estuaries that are home to manatees.’
- ‘He is hoping to test a prototype device with manatees in the natural environment under highly controlled research conditions.’
- ‘Like deer in the headlights of an oncoming car, manatees have poor avoidance strategies when in the path of danger.’
- ‘There are three species of manatees, including the West Indian manatee.’
- ‘Some manatees seek shelter here in the Suwannee River, which runs through northern Florida into the Gulf of Mexico.’
- ‘Such encounters are so common that researchers are often able to identify manatees from their scar patterns.’
- ‘This year the two projects will focus on Florida manatees and wild lions in Kenya.’
- ‘But the manatees swam along the shore and the people followed the manatees all of the way down here.’
- ‘Because manatees move freely along the coast, they are ideal indicators of environmental change.’
- ‘Native animals range from the jaguar and howler monkey to the manatee, and there are more than 290 species of birds.’
- ‘Tell the class that early explorers in Florida thought manatees were either mermaids or monsters.’
- ‘The diet of the captive manatees used in this study consists principally of romaine lettuce.’
- ‘The largest population of manatees is found in Florida, where approximately 2,000 individuals now live.’
- ‘He actually adopted a tree in the tropical rainforest and a manatee down in Florida.’
- ‘The gestation period is one full year for manatees, and cows give birth only once every 3 to 5 years.’
Mid 16th century: from Spanish manati, from Carib manáti.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.