One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Throughout life from youth.‘the time when families worked in the fields man and boy’
- ‘A Labour Party member, man and boy, I am horrified to see so many of my colleagues vote with ignorance and arrogance in equal measure.’
- ‘Rex has been a North End supporter man and boy, and to take the stick of rock analogy, if you chopped him in half he would say ‘Disappointed’ all the way through.’
- ‘Their managerial history is built on a solid stretch by Syd King, who was in charge of the club for 30 years man and boy.’
- ‘He had been a merchant seaman man and boy, covering some fifty years and he was so accustomed to shouting just to be heard that he couldn't stop doing it now that he'd retired.’
- ‘But for John Wilberforce Preston, who has fished the rivers and ponds of Craven man and boy for some 50 years, all is not well in the Aire Valley.’
- ‘I have worked here man and boy… Not many people can say that these days but perky head porter Mike Fawcett can and does with pride.’
- ‘I have lived here for more than 70 years - man and boy - and I won't be pushed out.’
- ‘I have supported that club man and boy for 38 years.’
- ‘I am a smoker, and have been for the past 36 years, man and boy, and have never really made any serious attempt to quit in all that time.’
- ‘Cecil has been working it, seven days a week, for more than 60 years as a hands-on farmer, man and boy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.