One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An hour regarded in terms of the amount of work that can be done by one person within this period.
- ‘A map could take thousands upon thousands of man-hours to build.’
- ‘‘We spend approximately 110 man-hours on each chassis that we get in,’ Watson says.’
- ‘It eventually took 90 tonnes of steelwork, 150 tonnes of concrete and 100,000 man-hours of labour to restore.’
- ‘Even though millions of pounds and thousands of valuable man-hours have been wasted on these endless meetings, a conclusion will never be reached.’
- ‘Configuring software on our servers used to take 120 man-hours.’
- ‘By building a mathematical pattern of his probable future movements, Rosso claimed, the software could succeed where thousands of police man-hours had failed.’
- ‘My understanding is that this will involve countless man-hours and an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys, so it could take a while.’
- ‘About 300,000 man-hours have gone into restoring the bomber that was a technological wonder of its day, McNally said.’
- ‘The use of containers significantly reduces the number of man-hours required to move and account for the items within the containers.’
- ‘Orders have been placed with 38 companies and the estimated work content was 3.6 million man-hours.’
- ‘This has disrupted production and service provision and resulted in loss of man-hours as workers stage industrial actions.’
- ‘The project took over 50,000 man-hours, spread over six years and over 800 data entry and editing professionals.’
- ‘It currently takes around 500 man-hours to create a Rolls-Royce.’
- ‘He said there was an increase of about 20% in police man-hours dedicated to the Easter period than last year.’
- ‘We put in at least 35 man-hours per every flight hour.’
- ‘Modifications to compensation plans once required hundreds of man-hours and manual revisions to hundreds of spreadsheets.’
- ‘Those volunteers have provided over 150,000 man-hours of volunteer labor to the effort, Feeney estimated.’
- ‘In order to complete the proposed work 600 voluntary man-hours will need to be invested over the next 3-4 months.’
- ‘Astronauts will undertake 1,920 man-hours of space-walks.’
- ‘The program calculates your needed man-hours and the available man-hours, and then compares the two, showing you how many man-hours you are over, or under.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.