Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who hates men.‘you don't have to be a man-hater to be a successful woman’
- ‘I am not a man-hater or anything like that - I think blokes are great.’
- ‘She is a real 1970s man-hater living on in this century.’
- ‘Because of his films, Russell was often considered as a vulgar and wild man-hater.’
- ‘If a woman had made this movie she'd be labelled a total man-hater: there isn't one man in it who isn't basically a teenager.’
- ‘I am not a feminist or a man-hater.’
- ‘It is a pity that so many people still hold the "feminists are hairy-legged man haters" stereotype.’
- ‘In the late 1960s and '70s, second-wave feminists, belittled in today's conservative backlash as bra-burning man-haters, paved the way for rights younger women now take for granted.’
- ‘The least they could do is not to continue the stereotypes that anyone interested in 'women's lib' is a man-hater.’
- ‘I know some pretty normal woman who aren't hairy legged man-haters who find this ad pretty damn demeaning.’
- ‘If a man writes a scathing piece about men in power, it's seen as his job; a woman can be cast as an emasculating man-hater.’
- ‘My mother was a categorical man-hater, and all my life described how evil they were.’
- ‘Sometimes I panic that all women are serious man-haters, but then I catch myself and think about all the women I know.’
- ‘People criticise her as being a sort of vapid, attention seeking pseudo-feminist man-hater, failing, I think, to recognise the context within which she became important.’
- ‘She is as obvious a man-hater as I've ever come across.’
- ‘Several thousand people with poor reading skills will forever brand me either a gender traitor or a man-hater, whichever makes them more fake-outraged.’
- ‘The L Word shatters stereotypes about lesbians as tortured, troubled man-haters who never find happiness.’
- ‘She states straight away that she's a riot grrrl and a radical feminist - but she is in no way a man-hater.’
- ‘Sometimes it's frustrating when people assign you personality traits and won't let go of them, regardless of how you may protest; this is why I've been labelled angry and a man-hater.’
- ‘Its about being a woman supporter rather than a man hater.’
- ‘Lad culture deems feminists as mad, butch man haters with hairy armpits!’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.