Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An immature man.
- ‘A man-child with a high-pitched voice, his brilliant acidic wit shields the petrified innocence of someone incompetent at everything except moving furniture and writing.’
- ‘Armed with this new special knowledge, our manchild again heads for home.’
- ‘Bottoms acted a bit more like a dimwitted manchild, an effect further exacerbated by the fact that he was a 30-year-old man playing a teenager.’
- ‘In interviews recently, the eternal manchild has sounded… not quite dull, exactly, but aware of his receding popularity.’
- ‘The discrepancy between sporting high-achiever and sulking man-child was never more evident.’
- ‘In Talk To Her he is greatly aided by the performance of Camara who plays Benigno as an innocent man child devoid of guile of malice.’
- ‘This intellectually deficient, petulent man-child was exactly what he appeared to be and his inept, arrogant administration is a perfect reflection of him.’
- ‘This album is full of self-pitying dirges which give the impression of a slightly sad man-child sulking about girls in his bedroom.’
- ‘Sadly, the lumbering man-child is not ready to return.’
- ‘But you get the feeling that the wizardly manchild is indefatigable.’
- ‘It is proving a big leap, this transition from man-child to leading light in the athletics firmament.’
- ‘Boy, being the office manchild sure is tough, isn't it?’
- ‘Go vote and let the man-child know what you think of his performance so far.’
- ‘That is now his job, and in the case of the man-child sitting across from him, there was much he could have said.’
- ‘As the overgrown man-child Adam, he won hearts with his pursuit of Helen Baxendale through six series until her brutal connection with the front end of a truck.’
- ‘Mr. Howell, especially, treated the bumbling man-child like he was sub-human.’
- ‘The manchild smiles slightly, his face illumined from within by love.’
- ‘It felt good to throw someone completely off - and that was obviously the case here with this man-child.’
- ‘Mr. Bean is nothing if not the modern realization of the Faulknerian idiot manchild.’
- ‘All Lily wanted was a boyfriend, what she got was a man-child on a mission.’
- 1.1archaic A male child.
- ‘It was a man child that the girl had.’
- ‘All men children of that time were accordingly named Samuel.’
- ‘For I will never destroy what I shall have brought forth, especially if it is a man-child.’
- ‘She labors to bear a man, and among the waves of death she gives birth to a manchild, with pains of Hell.’
- ‘Holly describes it as the naked figure of a beautiful woman shrouded by her beating wings as she lifts the man-child away from some evil which has terrified him.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.