Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of zoology concerned with mammals.
- ‘Housed in the Chicago Field Museum's prized Audubon collection, the prints are acclaimed as the definitive 19th-century work in the field of American mammalogy.’
- ‘Garrett directed his early support to mammalogy at the University of Puget Sound.’
- ‘You see, although I do want to study in biology, I have an affinity for studying animals in all their shapes and forms, and will probably end up specializing in mammalogy.’
- ‘Submit your work related to mammalogy, and let thousands of people access it worldwide!’
- ‘Dorst pursued a parallel career in mammalogy; he edited the quarterly journal Mammalia for 40 years, from 1960 to 2000.’
- ‘Thomas Henry Manning, a pioneer in exploration, ornithology, and mammalogy of the Canadian Arctic, was born in Northampton, England, on 22 December 1911, and educated at Harrow and Cambridge.’
- ‘Matthew Gompper, assistant professor of mammalogy at the University of Missouri and an ecologist specializing in carnivores, has been studying coyote population biology in the Northeast.’
- ‘In mammalogy, he is credited with six genera and six species; in botany, with some seventy genera and as many species.’
- ‘Curatorial assistant Judith Chupasko commented that ‘because of their diversity and excellent data, these specimens have become an invaluable asset to the collection and to future studies in mammalogy.’’
- ‘Thomas Martin, head of mammalogy at the Senckenberg Research Institute in Frankfurt, Germany, agrees that Akidolestes may represent some kind of evolutionary throwback.’
- ‘He taught numerous classes in ornithology, mammalogy, population ecology, and animal behavior, and he led several generations of undergraduates on field trips throughout southern Wisconsin.’
- ‘The section contains about 44,000 reprints and books and currently holds the most important periodicals of mammalogy and vertebrate palaeontology.’
- ‘Under Merriam's leadership, this organization quickly established itself as the primary center for the practice of economic ornithology and mammalogy in the United States.’
- ‘This bibliography is designed to guide beginning students in mammalogy to literature in specific areas.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.