One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- variant spelling of mama
1A milk-secreting organ of female mammals (in humans, the breast).
chest, bosom, breastsView synonyms
- ‘Adult lions have 30 teeth and adult females have four mammae.’
- ‘In general, females have enough mammae for each young in the largest litters to have his or her own.’
- ‘The breasts came to be understood as a sign of the anomalous nature of the human body, as other mammals do not have prominent mammae: only human females do.’
- ‘Borellus remarks that he knew of a woman of ordinary size, each of whose mammae weighed about 30 pounds, and she supported them in bags hung about her neck.’
- 1.1 A corresponding nonsecretory structure in male mammals.
Old English, from Latin, ‘breast’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.