Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1North American dated One's mother (especially as a child's term)[as name] ‘come and meet Mama’
- ‘I found Mama sitting next to Papa's bed and Jeanette listening to the radio.’
- ‘I'm sure both Mama and Papa will be very proud of you, Fenius.’
- ‘My papa was walking to the midwife to get my mama's painkillers, because she was pregnant and was very sore.’
- ‘The mamas and papas did not have to just watch their children have all the fun.’
- ‘She would be strong for her mama, and her papa, who stood unmoving now.’
- ‘I decided to fix a big pot of my mama's homemade kitchen sink soup.’
- ‘When my mom died, I got my mama's glasses, and they're very, very precious to me.’
- ‘I couldn't believe that my mama and papa, so brave, were scared of a man I didn't know anything about.’
- ‘Papa and Mama were running around doing and getting things for Lise, and Lise was bandaging Lars' arms.’
- ‘James Gandolfini plays Tom, the father of the household, and Catherine O'Hara is Christine, the mama to Tom's papa.’
- ‘I live in Chile, South America, with my mama, papa.’
- ‘And he meets some other kids, and those kids have two mamas or two papas.’
- ‘She's not, you know, weaned from her mama yet, and she's not even eating food yet.’
- ‘I thought it would make their mama happy, laying there beside of them, to watch us play.’
- ‘I fought back the tears to be strong for my mama, but could barely hold it in.’
- ‘My mama died when I was born and my papa died a few years ago.’
- ‘When we reached our cart, Papa and Mama were saying goodbye and trying to get everything loaded in.’
- ‘Ever homebound I dashed; I only wanted to hear the praise of my mama and papa.’
- ‘I took no time to open it and when I did I looked to my mamma, then papa, then Johnnie, Cody and Angel.’
- ‘He does seem to be very, very attracted to tall, long-stemmed blondes, not unlike his pretty mama.’
2US informal A mature woman.‘the ultimate tough blues mama’
- ‘Escape urban gridlock in West Virginia, where country roads and mountain mamas are only a fraction of the attraction’
- ‘We have been devouring cakes baked by young ladies and old mamas.’
- ‘Sorry, would-be martyrs, we do not censor your favorite sites from comments, unless you're into mature mamas or something.’
- ‘Formidable mammas kept a watch out for grooms with purses (over personality).’
Mid 16th century: imitative of a child's first syllables ma, ma.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.