Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A cross with arms of equal length that broaden from the center and have their ends indented in a shallow V-shape.
- ‘The Prince of Scandanavia, a sleek 22,578-gross-register-ton ship with a white Maltese cross in a blue circle emblazoned on her impressive funnel, was ready for boarding both passengers and vehicles.’
- ‘The upper left third was white with a red Maltese cross in it, the upper right third was blue, charged with a white paw print, and the bottom third was red and had a blue sword placed horizontally, pointing to the right.’
- ‘Greg's got a really big Maltese cross tattoo on his back.’
- ‘In Allegory of the Faith alone, a pattern of what can be read as white Maltese crosses, each made from five tiles, is set on a black background.’
- ‘By 1924 he managed to transmit across a few feet the flickering image of a Maltese cross and on 26th January 1926 he gave the world's first demonstration of true television in his attic workshop before some fifty scientists.’
- ‘The + signs in the decorative line below the title are Maltese crosses in the original.’
2A plant of the pink family ("Lychnis chalcedonica"), with small scarlet petals arranged in the shape of a Maltese cross.
- ‘We planted Maltese crosses, phlox, snapdragons, and other interesting plants.’
- ‘Green grasses also work well for separating strong colors and boldly patterned blooms, such as the intense red heads of Maltese cross and the bull's-eye stripes of blanket flower (Gaillardia x grandiflora).’
So named because the cross was formerly worn by the Knights of Malta, a religious order.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.