Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Whiskey made only from malted barley and not blended with grain whiskey.
- ‘If I were rich or daft enough to invite Caplin into my life, I know what she would advise: cut out the fresh coffee, bread, weekend wine, Friday night glass of malt whisky and the Sunday beer.’
- ‘His enthusiasm for this activity, as well as malt whisky, was much touted as emblematic of new ideological and social aspirations.’
- ‘Andrew loved Scotland, good malt whisky and fine wines, music, and kit cars.’
- ‘A bottle of lager and even a measure or two of malt whisky might follow it.’
- ‘Levels of copper in the pot ale left from the distilling of malt whisky can breach environmental safety limits when discharged into water.’
- ‘Indeed, comparing malt whisky to fine wine is not as far-fetched as it sounds.’
- ‘Scotland may not claim to have the world's finest cuisine, but it does produce some first-class products: smoked salmon, freshwater trout, wild venison and malt whisky, to name a few.’
- ‘Undoubtedly it may be a way to increase overall sales by further segmenting the market into different levels of ‘premium’ product for the connoisseur of malt whisky.’
- ‘Such a malt can also consist entirely of malt whiskies of various ages from the same distillery.’
- ‘Famous brands of 10-year-old malt whisky are contaminated with high levels of a toxin which scientists fear could cause cancer.’
- ‘Single malt Scotch whisky is so called because it consists strictly of malt whiskies from a single distillery.’
- ‘This file picture shows a selection of the many varieties of malt whisky produced in Scotland.’
- ‘In fact, the majority of malt whiskies are treated in this way when bottled.’
- ‘I knew that Mono and his team had been working very hard on the house, but this was so unexpected that it made the bottle of Glenfiddich malt whisky I'd brought him as a thank you gift seem quite paltry.’
- ‘While their induction might involve a few drams of malt whisky, they will also experience the office's wonderful rural setting outside Edinburgh just a stone's throw from the Pentland Hills.’
- ‘It is one of the finest blends using both Talisker and Cardhu malt whiskies in the foundation malts.’
- ‘Pernod Ricard is now one of the top international producers of malt whisky.’
- ‘Glenmorangie, long-famed for its distinctive malt whisky, will celebrate its new recognition as a member of Scotland's most exclusive investment club when it reports results this week.’
- ‘If you love malt whisky the Clunie Inn has a range of over 100 highland malt whiskies to choose from.’
- ‘We have put together a range of malt whiskies to encompass all styles, regions and ages, which I am sure will have something for everyone.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.