One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The development of shopping malls.‘the malling of America’
- ‘‘The name-dropping of companies is a neat way of accruing ‘guilt by association’, while being a subtle backlash against the malling of America.’’
- ‘Cooder denounces the ‘paving over and the malling up’ of Los Angeles working class history, particularly on its Chicano Eastside where tens of thousands have been uprooted by stadiums, freeways and jails.’
- ‘The 'malling' of New York City continues.’
2The action or activity of passing time in a shopping mall.‘Jessie had time to go malling’
- ‘We can go malling instead if you really insist.’
- ‘I have lots to say on this and also on another popular pastime in Madras, malling.’
- ‘And those numbers, Wood qualifies, are not even in peak malling season, summer.’
- ‘He had his swimming lesson and then we went malling!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.