Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A stage in a middle-aged man's life supposedly corresponding to the menopause of a woman, associated with the loss of sexual potency and a crisis of confidence and identity (not in technical use)
- ‘Out of the blue he asked, ‘What's male menopause?’’
- ‘The male menopause lobby may have a word to say about that.’
- ‘Editor Gould, Petty, and Jacobs debated about facts for and against the existence of a male menopause.’
- ‘Professor John McKinlay, a leading authority on men's health, argues that the male menopause is a myth.’
- ‘Among the topics included are prostate cancer, heart disease, male menopause, and hair loss.’
- ‘Dr Frederick Wu says it will provide a definitive answer to the question: ‘Is there a male menopause?’’
- ‘Decreasing levels of testosterone associated with male menopause that occurs as men get older.’
- ‘Thus, male menopause is not a discrete clinical syndrome.’
- ‘You can find more on shaping up and the male menopause by logging on to the web.’
- ‘In general, men do not have a male menopause, and most men have testosterone levels well in the normal range.’
- ‘But yes, guys, male menopause is real, and there is hope after menopause.’
- ‘Either that or the male menopause has kicked in.’
- ‘I'm wondering if all of this is related to the male menopause.’
- ‘Perhaps he is going through the male menopause, a bit of a change is coming on?’
- ‘Turning the old male menopause theory on its head, Eclair continues while sucking on a Silk Cut.’
- ‘‘She is young, black, 25 years old and startlingly photogenic,’ reported the Telegraph's hack in the throes of the male menopause.’
- ‘Long a source of speculation, the song's title and elliptical lyrics are thought to refer to male menopause.’
- ‘It could be the male menopause or the state of the nation - he now lives in the USA - but Lloyd seems to have a rather negative approach.’
- ‘Astra just isn't what it used to be, the old comfortable cardigan for the middle-aged man who had never been told about the male menopause.’
- ‘Madeline, Humbie's wife, believes it's the male menopause.’
male menopause/māl ˈmenəˌpôz/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.