One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fern with brown scales on the stalks of the fronds, found in wooded areas of the northeastern US, but much more common in Eurasia.
Genus Dryopteris, family Dryopteridaceae: several species, in particular D. filix-mas
- ‘The male fern is one of the most popular and effective treatments for tape worms.’
- ‘Either shade or sun suits male ferns planted in temperate regions, but full shade remains mandatory in warmer zones.’
- ‘These male ferns produce elegant, frilly fronds up to 3 feet long and spread if spores fall in the right conditions.’
- ‘There are tiny fiddleheads on the male ferns and ostrich ferns and the buds on the highbush cranberry are about ready to burst forth.’
- ‘Ferns will often tolerate very dry conditions particularly the male ferns (Dryopteris filix-mas), golden scale, soft shield and hard shield.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.