Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Male prejudice against women; the belief that men are superior in terms of ability, intelligence, etc.‘a bastion of male chauvinism’
- ‘Italy's long-standing tradition of male chauvinism has been delivered a bitter blow with the opening of the country's first women-only beach.’
- ‘In China, a country having a centuries-long tradition of male superiority, male chauvinism is absolutely not a new word.’
- ‘Certainly male chauvinism combined with existing social and intellectual norms contributed to this result.’
- ‘This is a blatant lie, and a stark example of aggressive male chauvinism.’
- ‘Unfortunately, male chauvinism has found support in ideas expressed by some theologians who have defended the inferior role of women with arguments for their inferior nature.’
- ‘Male chauvinism isn't making a comeback - it never went away.’
- ‘In different parts of the world, male chauvinism in different degrees has led to gender injustice.’
- ‘His style is typical of fascist male chauvinism.’
- ‘The LSE has been a symbol of stodgy traditionalism and male chauvinism.’
- ‘They have had to face accusations of racism, Eurocentrism, neocolonialism, grave-robbing, and male chauvinism (not necessarily all at once, or in that order).’
- ‘Although the premise is centered around 1970s male chauvinism, the script only examines this topic superficially.’
- ‘Yet, it should probably be kept in mind that the banking fraternity is one of the most entrenched bastions of male chauvinism and conservatism in Japanese society.’
- ‘The reality of male chauvinism didn't strike me until I went to college.’
- ‘Male chauvinism is the major cause for this social evil.’
- ‘I suppose that's what male chauvinism is all about.’
- ‘It is male chauvinism, I admit it.’
- ‘Meyer made much of his male chauvinism.’
- ‘Granted, there's probably a tad of male chauvinism or ego buried in that statement; however, I have heard that uttered by a few women as well.’
- ‘For some men, it is a show of male chauvinism.’
- ‘In honor of the cold war, let me address old-fashioned male chauvinism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.