Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Male prejudice against women; the belief that men are superior in terms of ability, intelligence, etc.‘a bastion of male chauvinism’
- ‘In honor of the cold war, let me address old-fashioned male chauvinism.’
- ‘Granted, there's probably a tad of male chauvinism or ego buried in that statement; however, I have heard that uttered by a few women as well.’
- ‘Yet, it should probably be kept in mind that the banking fraternity is one of the most entrenched bastions of male chauvinism and conservatism in Japanese society.’
- ‘They have had to face accusations of racism, Eurocentrism, neocolonialism, grave-robbing, and male chauvinism (not necessarily all at once, or in that order).’
- ‘His style is typical of fascist male chauvinism.’
- ‘Italy's long-standing tradition of male chauvinism has been delivered a bitter blow with the opening of the country's first women-only beach.’
- ‘I suppose that's what male chauvinism is all about.’
- ‘It is male chauvinism, I admit it.’
- ‘In different parts of the world, male chauvinism in different degrees has led to gender injustice.’
- ‘Meyer made much of his male chauvinism.’
- ‘This is a blatant lie, and a stark example of aggressive male chauvinism.’
- ‘Certainly male chauvinism combined with existing social and intellectual norms contributed to this result.’
- ‘The reality of male chauvinism didn't strike me until I went to college.’
- ‘Male chauvinism is the major cause for this social evil.’
- ‘Male chauvinism isn't making a comeback - it never went away.’
- ‘Unfortunately, male chauvinism has found support in ideas expressed by some theologians who have defended the inferior role of women with arguments for their inferior nature.’
- ‘The LSE has been a symbol of stodgy traditionalism and male chauvinism.’
- ‘In China, a country having a centuries-long tradition of male superiority, male chauvinism is absolutely not a new word.’
- ‘Although the premise is centered around 1970s male chauvinism, the script only examines this topic superficially.’
- ‘For some men, it is a show of male chauvinism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.