Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting interaction or transfer between a male and a female.‘male-to-female aggression’
- ‘It also is advisable to mention that the curriculum focuses primarily on male-to-female violence.’
- ‘And yeah, when it's a male-to-female thing, the dynamic is different.’
- ‘In the second analysis we examined only male-to-female violence recidivism.’
- ‘Using this estimate of male-to-female transmission, it would take 770 or 3333 sexual contacts respectively to reach a 50% or 95% probability of becoming infected.’
- ‘Male-to-female transmission is more likely.’
2Denoting or relating to a person whose birth sex is male and who subsequently adopts the identity or appearance of a female, especially one who has undergone gender reassignment.‘the male-to-female transgendered community’
- ‘There were highly visible male-to-female transsexuals, in key organizational positions.’
- ‘Though not the first male-to-female transsexual, she is the best known.’
- ‘Jamie's Story, which follows a male-to-female transition, will debut in June.’
- ‘One partner had had a male-to-female sex change.’
- ‘I have known more than a few transexuals of the male-to-female variety.’
A person whose birth sex is male and who subsequently adopts the identity or appearance of a female, especially one who has undergone gender reassignment.‘people are becoming aware that transsexual doesn't only refer to male-to-females’
- ‘Broadly speaking, it was postulated that the male-to-female's motivations are individual ones, firmly rooted in personal identity.’
- ‘Although the transgender movement is far from a unified whole, I think some of the analytical confusion surrounding it has been due to thinking of mtfs (male-to-females) and ftms (female-to-males) as part of the same phenomenon.’
- ‘The show follows "four unique individuals, two male-to-females and two female-to-males as they struggle to transition from one gender to the other in the midst of a grueling school year."’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.