One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Dravidian language of the Indian state of Kerala, closely related to Tamil.
- ‘Rao can speak Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi with relative ease.’
- ‘Despite being a Telugu, she says her most satisfying numbers came in other languages like Tamil and Malayalam.’
- ‘Indeed they continue to speak chaste Malayalam despite their long stay in Israel.’
- ‘A few others immediately countered this and demanded that she should speak in Malayalam instead.’
- ‘She will render a selection of her hits in Malayalam, Tamil and Hindi.’
Relating to Malayalam or its speakers.
- ‘This time, the Malayalam film industry also ensured its representation at the World Cup cricket bonanza.’
- ‘But the focus of the celebration would be an exhibition of Malayalam books.’
- ‘This time around, the stars are mostly from the Malayalam film world.’
- ‘Real-life Poornima is miles away from the sad-faced women she has portrayed in Malayalam serials.’
- ‘It has instructions in Hindi and English and has a beginner's mode and an expert mode just like the Malayalam version.’
Early 19th century: from Malayalam, from mala (Tamil malai) ‘mountain’ + āḷ ‘man’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.