- see yautia
- ‘There are two annual harvests of nourishing tubers, one for yams and one for malangas.’
- ‘Although similar, malanga grows best in dry places, while taro flourishes in wet ones.’
- ‘In the US they call them dasheen, taro, cocoyams and also malanga.’
- ‘Using a grater, grate the malangas through the medium holes.’
- ‘Take it off the stove and add the ham bouillon, beef bouillon, tomato purée, potatoes, yams, malangas, and plantains.’
Early 20th century: from American Spanish, probably from Kikongo, plural of elanga water lily.