One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Zeno is a hypochondriacal, neurotic, delightful, solipsistic, self-examining and self-serving bourgeois, a true blossom of the mal du siècle.’
- ‘I find Weldon's coverage of her Girls' High School days rather sad, pathetic and tinged with a sort of private mal du siècle.’
- ‘Never before nor after, so far as I know, has the famous mal du siècle been so succinctly expressed in a single sentence.’
- ‘For the Romantics, mal du siècle was the equivalent of ‘The Elizabethan Malady.’’
- ‘He is also a principal figure in French romanticism although his romanticism is less the melancholy, maudlin mal du siècle of many his contemporaries.’
French, literally ‘sickness of the century’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.