Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Preparation and adjustment of a press for printing.
2(in letterpress printing) final adjustment of the pressure exerted on all parts of a forme, using overlays and underlays in different areas as required.
- ‘User-friendly V - 30 controls deliver all the advanced features necessary to keep productivity high and makeready waste low.’
- ‘This could result in a great increase in production time because less makeready time is needed.’
- ‘If the job is to be printed digitally, the only way to accommodate these situations is to scan the hard copies to electronic files and perform makeready on the job.’
- ‘In the preferred embodiment, the marks 22 are pre-printed on the makeready tape 10.’
- ‘Cutting makeready time by up to 20% enables ADAST users to produce print jobs faster and more profitably.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.