One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Transfer the possession of something to someone.‘if he dies childless he is to make over his share of the estate to his brother’
transfer, sign over, turn over, hand over, hand on, give, hand down, leave, bequeath, bestow, pass on, devolve, transmit, cede, deliver, assign, consign, convey, entrustView synonyms
- ‘You have the property, you are living in the property, you have not made anything over to your former partner, nor your children.’
- ‘A century later, two neighbouring estates were amalgamated, creating a marvel of vistas and architecture which was eventually made over to the nation in 1841.’
- ‘The property would not be made over to Mr Kirk, but on the other hand must be made safe for Thomas and his family.’
2Completely transform or remodel something, especially a person's hairstyle, makeup, or clothes.
- ‘Rarely did I ever let Sarah make me over but when she did I was always amazed at her power to erase all the little flaws that made me self-conscious at times.’
- ‘My hair is a dirty-dishwater color,’ wrote Hope, in giving us reasons to make her over.’
- ‘The whole group is coming over to my house to make me over.’
- ‘The team will pick audience members and make them over, sharing their expertise and tricks of the trade.’
- ‘‘We're going to make you over,’ Kendall said, sitting me down in a chair.’
- ‘Agents are experts at recognizing raw talents but may make you over to fit with the look of the moment.’
- ‘Its angle is to take a group of plain Janes, make them over into glamour girls, and then have them all take part in a season-ending beauty pageant.’
- ‘Paul Rudd plays Adam, a nerdy undergrad who falls for Evelyn, an iconoclastic art student hellbent on making him over.’
- ‘Didn't Jess and I do a good job in making her over, Scott?’
- ‘Wilma makes Fred over as a smooth Casanova, but when it goes to his head, she decides she likes him better the way he was.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.