One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Find meaning or coherence in.‘she must try to make sense of what was going on’
understand, comprehend, work out, fathom out, make sense of, grasp, catch, follow, perceive, make out, penetrate, divine, search out, ferret out, puzzle out, take in, assimilate, absorb, get to the bottom ofView synonyms
- ‘Art is precisely the means by which man makes sense of, and transcends, his own limitations and flaws.’
- ‘Seeing my chance, I spoke up, trying to make some sense of the situation and defend myself.’
- ‘I was trying to make some sense of the situation… then, eventually, I came round.’
- ‘He is more concerned with making sense of what is being talked about than with the literal meaning of the words themselves.’
- ‘I had planned to write a review of the piece but it's pretty difficult to make sense of in words.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.