One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Become very successful or famous.‘Simon had made it big in the financial world’
- ‘They have no dream of making it big in racing - they just want to get behind the wheel.’
- ‘After a series of setbacks during the past 12 months, the industry now feels rejuvenated with family themes making it big at the box-office.’
- ‘Every band dreams of making it big but we were just happy having fun really.’
- ‘You want to talk about someone who's making it big?’
- ‘I spent a few years playing in a garage band and the biggest failure there was we never really tried to make it big.’
- ‘Since he was a child Matthew dreamed of making it big, of being a player in a country where more than half of the national wealth is controlled by a handful of families.’
- ‘Most people think of success as making it big in power and money.’
- ‘A year earlier he had taken the Premiership by storm - scoring eight goals in 34 starts - a talented teenager making it big in a man's world.’
- ‘‘Many successful entrepreneurs suffered failures before they made it big,’ he notes.’
- ‘For every successful cartoonist who makes it big, there are thousands of other equally talented artists that go completely unrecognized.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.