One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Marry a woman, especially to avoid scandal if she is pregnant.
be married to, get married to, marry, be wed to, take as one's husband, take as one's wife, lead to the altarView synonyms
- ‘We've discussed this for ages, but, now, finally, Robert is going to make an honest woman of me!’
- ‘He said it was time he made an honest woman of Joanna.’
- ‘Alex is attempting to make an honest woman out of me.’
- ‘I hear you're making an honest woman of my sister.’
- ‘When asked why he'd taken so long to make an honest woman of his girlfriend, Ron joked that he ‘hadn't had enough time to ask her.’’
- ‘Paula and Peter grew inseparable, and courted for years, before Peter finally made an honest woman of her.’
- ‘A source close to the couple recently revealed: ‘David's really keen to make an honest woman of Catherine - they've never talked about their relationship in public but they definitely see a long future together.’’
- ‘The only thing to be done now is to make an honest woman of this dear lady.’
- ‘Well, I think he should make an honest woman of her.’
- ‘Have you been putting off making an honest woman of your partner?’
- ‘I'll just say Freddie has finally made an honest woman of Sally.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.