One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Do (something) in an unnecessarily elaborate or complicated way.
exaggerate, overstate, do to death, overemphasize, overplay, go overboard with, dramatize, overdramatizeView synonyms
- ‘At every frequent stop, Coralie makes a production of waving the door to get fresh air.’
- ‘She made a production of glancing between Markus and me.’
- ‘He flushed and made a production of opening his binder and shuffling his notes.’
- ‘He was glaring at me over his shoulder and making a production of being reluctantly dragged away.’
- ‘Desmond made a production of apologizing, but Michael remained stiffly silent.’
- ‘If you have a houseful of guests, making a production of every meal leaves you with little time or energy to enjoy them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.