One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have a great financial success.‘they're a safe investment, you can make a killing overnight’
make a large profit, make a fortune, make one's fortune, gain, profit, make money, be successful, be luckyView synonyms
- ‘The despised London Yuppies making a killing out of the stock market and privatisation, I could understand their pact with the devil but what reward did our town get from the Tories?’
- ‘If a 14-year-old with a Net connection could move markets and make a killing, all that supposed training and experience of financial analysts was an elaborate fiction.’
- ‘I do know the guys on the border are making a killing.’
- ‘Someone is making a killing - and it isn't the artists.’
- ‘In the short term, anybody with a view to making a killing will be disappointed.’
- ‘In fact, it was the Americans who were making a killing.’
- ‘Meanwhile Santos and its partners Magellan and Oilmin, which are selling crude at the ruling world parity price, are making a killing.’
- ‘With a 20 quid bet at 20-1 on him polling 500 votes or more, he was quietly confident of making a killing.’
- ‘The merchants in the Village are making a killing.’
- ‘The companies and financial advisers involved made a killing from selling these policies - until the consequences began to come to light.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.