One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Try to escape by moving suddenly toward (something)‘Ellie made a bolt for the door’
dash, dart, run, sprint, rush, bound, leap, jump, spring, gallopView synonyms
- ‘She thought about making a bolt for it, but the guy put his hand on her shoulder and whispered ‘Don't even think about it.’’
- ‘She tried to make a bolt for the door but was unable to move, and began to panic.’
- ‘Did they call you ‘Engineer’ because you're always making a bolt for the door?’
- ‘The child, scared and confused well past his years, made a bolt for the fields.’
- ‘The Taxi driver made a bolt for it, leaving Flick his vehicle.’
- ‘As the Mercedes Benz slowed, and the engine was eventually cut, Theorton tensed his muscles, preparing to make a bolt for the driver's door.’
- ‘They were gathered down one end of the pool so I decided to make a bolt for the far side.’
- ‘She ducked out from under the desk and made a bolt for the elevator.’
- ‘She heaved a sigh of relief and prepared to make a bolt for it.’
- ‘The alarm went off and they made a bolt for it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.