One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The principle that the greater number should exercise greater power.
- ‘They were designed to ease the transition to black majority rule, while avoiding the danger of social revolution.’
- ‘The goal of enshrining minority protections before majority rule is a worthy one.’
- ‘As Novak points out, Jews have flourished in polities that respect majority rule and protect individual rights.’
- ‘The danger in such a course is you have majority rule, and that does not necessarily produce the best law.’
- ‘Still, there is a distinction to be made between majority rule and majoritarianism.’
- ‘This, say nationalists, is majority rule by the back door.’
- ‘That Union was based on the principle of majority rule, with constitutional rights carefully delineated for the minority.’
- ‘In the homogenizing nation-state, justice and majority rule could for some time be perceived as one and the same.’
- ‘In America, there has never been true majority rule.’
- ‘Most of us would consider such an exercise in majority rule unacceptable.’
- ‘After all, if violence can prevent majority rule, it can also be employed to restore such rule.’
- ‘Their opposition is more elemental: they do not accept the principle of democratic majority rule.’
- ‘Rousseau laid the basis for modern ideas of democracy and the legitimacy of majority rule.’
- ‘These tactics not only violate democracy and majority rule, but arguably offend the Constitution as well.’
- ‘First, it challenges the traditional narrow equation of democracy with majority rule.’
- ‘This was the first instance of black majority rule in South Africa.’
- ‘Did you know that the constitution nowhere says that Congress has to pass laws by majority rule?’
- ‘Democracy means majority rule, but it also means minority rights.’
- ‘It was Smith who declared that there would ‘never in a thousand years’ be black majority rule in Rhodesia.’
- ‘Yet in practice, liberal democracy should also allow for checks on government and limits to majority rule.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.