One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The principle that the greater number should exercise greater power.
- ‘Still, there is a distinction to be made between majority rule and majoritarianism.’
- ‘Their opposition is more elemental: they do not accept the principle of democratic majority rule.’
- ‘Did you know that the constitution nowhere says that Congress has to pass laws by majority rule?’
- ‘Rousseau laid the basis for modern ideas of democracy and the legitimacy of majority rule.’
- ‘They were designed to ease the transition to black majority rule, while avoiding the danger of social revolution.’
- ‘This, say nationalists, is majority rule by the back door.’
- ‘Yet in practice, liberal democracy should also allow for checks on government and limits to majority rule.’
- ‘That Union was based on the principle of majority rule, with constitutional rights carefully delineated for the minority.’
- ‘After all, if violence can prevent majority rule, it can also be employed to restore such rule.’
- ‘First, it challenges the traditional narrow equation of democracy with majority rule.’
- ‘The danger in such a course is you have majority rule, and that does not necessarily produce the best law.’
- ‘This was the first instance of black majority rule in South Africa.’
- ‘As Novak points out, Jews have flourished in polities that respect majority rule and protect individual rights.’
- ‘Most of us would consider such an exercise in majority rule unacceptable.’
- ‘In America, there has never been true majority rule.’
- ‘These tactics not only violate democracy and majority rule, but arguably offend the Constitution as well.’
- ‘The goal of enshrining minority protections before majority rule is a worthy one.’
- ‘It was Smith who declared that there would ‘never in a thousand years’ be black majority rule in Rhodesia.’
- ‘In the homogenizing nation-state, justice and majority rule could for some time be perceived as one and the same.’
- ‘Democracy means majority rule, but it also means minority rights.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.