One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The principle that the greater number should exercise greater power.
- ‘First, it challenges the traditional narrow equation of democracy with majority rule.’
- ‘Still, there is a distinction to be made between majority rule and majoritarianism.’
- ‘That Union was based on the principle of majority rule, with constitutional rights carefully delineated for the minority.’
- ‘As Novak points out, Jews have flourished in polities that respect majority rule and protect individual rights.’
- ‘Did you know that the constitution nowhere says that Congress has to pass laws by majority rule?’
- ‘In America, there has never been true majority rule.’
- ‘Rousseau laid the basis for modern ideas of democracy and the legitimacy of majority rule.’
- ‘This, say nationalists, is majority rule by the back door.’
- ‘It was Smith who declared that there would ‘never in a thousand years’ be black majority rule in Rhodesia.’
- ‘They were designed to ease the transition to black majority rule, while avoiding the danger of social revolution.’
- ‘Their opposition is more elemental: they do not accept the principle of democratic majority rule.’
- ‘Most of us would consider such an exercise in majority rule unacceptable.’
- ‘The goal of enshrining minority protections before majority rule is a worthy one.’
- ‘After all, if violence can prevent majority rule, it can also be employed to restore such rule.’
- ‘This was the first instance of black majority rule in South Africa.’
- ‘The danger in such a course is you have majority rule, and that does not necessarily produce the best law.’
- ‘These tactics not only violate democracy and majority rule, but arguably offend the Constitution as well.’
- ‘Democracy means majority rule, but it also means minority rights.’
- ‘In the homogenizing nation-state, justice and majority rule could for some time be perceived as one and the same.’
- ‘Yet in practice, liberal democracy should also allow for checks on government and limits to majority rule.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.