Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for drum majorette
- ‘Both events feature arts and crafts stalls, a fun fair, majorettes ' performances, a brass band and a barbecue.’
- ‘The majorettes play a significant role in the successes of the orchestra.’
- ‘A total of 14 acts were laid on for a 170-strong audience, with majorettes, solo singers, trumpet players and dancers strutting their stuff on stage.’
- ‘How about those majorettes, you know, the baton twirlers, ever see them strut?’
- ‘There will be 40 floats in tomorrow's procession, accompanied by marching bands, majorettes and cheerleaders.’
- ‘Entertainment was provided by morris dancers, majorettes and wrestlers, with Bratton Silver Band also on hand to get the toes tapping.’
- ‘Marching bands, majorettes and decorated floats will make up this year's Northfleet carnival on July 3.’
- ‘People confuse us with majorettes but we don't perform at the same kind of functions.’
- ‘She said: ‘Ideally we would like ex majorettes and they have to be over 21.’’
- ‘She marched behind the St Joseph's Accordion Band and the majorettes in this year's St Patrick's Day parade in New York.’
- ‘A reunion for people who were in the local majorettes troupe in the late 1970s is being organised for October with a trip to the Isle of Man.’
- ‘At a recent wedding, I saw a dancing mother twirl a rifle in both hands above her head like the baton of a majorette.’
- ‘What are required are accordion players, drummers and majorettes.’
- ‘A popular community centre could be shut down, leaving majorettes, martial arts' enthusiasts and bowls players with nowhere to go.’
- ‘If majorettes and samba bands are taking part it is a lot of hard work for them.’
- ‘You could be sure that their majorettes were not only good twirlers, they were good students.’
- ‘There's always like two ladies that look like Katherine Harris sitting in the corner, like ‘We used to be majorettes.’’
- ‘When I was a little girl I really wanted to be a majorette, so my mom signed me up with the Oregon Journal Juniors Majorettes.’
- ‘It will include floats, vintage cars, majorettes, stilt walkers, dancers and music.’
- ‘Troupes of majorettes and dancers in distinct uniforms from across the region took turns to put on dazzling displays.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.