One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Spades or hearts.
- ‘This bid is forcing to the three level in a major suit or the four level in a minor suit.’
- ‘Because of the difference in score, clubs and diamonds are called the minor suits and hearts and spades are the major suits.’
- ‘If the suit is a major suit, the bidder must have at least 3 cards in the suit bid.’
- ‘Opener is required to have five cards in a major suit when she bids it on her first bid.’
- ‘At the one level a major suit overcall may be made on a four-card holding of exceptional quality.’
Early 20th century: so named because of their higher scoring value.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.