A rook or queen.
- ‘Deploying the major pieces is actually Black's next task.’
- ‘First of all, the presence of more major pieces on the board favors the minor piece.’
- ‘In the game White plays an overly direct plan of attack, misplacing all his major pieces on the kingside.’
- ‘So the lessons are clear; beware of doubled pawns when major pieces have been exchanged, and beware of exchanging major pieces when you are the one with the doubled pawns.’
- ‘Black has been denied counterplay and faces an all-out assault from the White major pieces.’