An officer in the US Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps ranking above brigadier general and below lieutenant general.
- ‘By 1942, Frank is a major general in command of a division, but loses his life in an airplane crash.’
- ‘All ranks of lieutenant general, major general and brigadier general are staffed by men.’
- ‘The four will be commissioned as Army major generals for an approximate two-year term while serving intermittently in this role.’
- ‘It is the only known diary of a major general commanding a division in the Allied Expeditionary Force.’
- ‘Rabuka, then an army major general, led two military coups in 1987 and ruled the country for 12 years.’
- ‘Hicks was promoted from brigadier to major general before a gathering of more than 500 family, friends and co-workers.’
Mid 17th century: shortening of sergeant major general.