One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The parliament of various North African and Middle Eastern countries, especially Iran.
- ‘Reformist leaders in the majlis regularly blast President Khatami for failing to tackle a long list of economic and social issues.’
- ‘The more traditional forms of representation in which the poor man - any man - could take his troubles direct to the ruler in his majlis no longer exist.’
- ‘In 2000 Iranians chose a relatively liberal majority from a carefully screened list of candidates for the country's parliament, or majlis.’
- ‘The people elect the majlis al-nuab, or Council of Representatives.’
- ‘The first majlis were created as a result in 1906, granting power to popular-class guilds.’
Arabic, literally ‘assembly’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.