One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The parliament of various North African and Middle Eastern countries, especially Iran.
- ‘In 2000 Iranians chose a relatively liberal majority from a carefully screened list of candidates for the country's parliament, or majlis.’
- ‘The first majlis were created as a result in 1906, granting power to popular-class guilds.’
- ‘Reformist leaders in the majlis regularly blast President Khatami for failing to tackle a long list of economic and social issues.’
- ‘The people elect the majlis al-nuab, or Council of Representatives.’
- ‘The more traditional forms of representation in which the poor man - any man - could take his troubles direct to the ruler in his majlis no longer exist.’
Arabic, literally ‘assembly’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.