One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Central American cereal plant that yields large grains set in rows on a cob; corn.
sweetcorn, corn on the cob, indian cornView synonyms
- ‘Farmers may be forced to change from barley and wheat to maize as warming continues.’
- ‘Previous work with wheat and barley is extended to include experiments with maize.’
- ‘A similar phenotype has been observed in other species, including maize and sorghum.’
- ‘Tortillas are infinitely versatile and usually made from corn or maize, but also from wheat.’
- ‘The main crops that are harvested for this are maize, rice, wheat, and potatoes.’
Mid 16th century: from Spanish maíz, from Taino mahiz.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.