1The person in a restaurant who oversees the waitpersons and busboys, and who typically handles reservations.
server, waitress, stewardess, steward, attendantView synonyms
- ‘Queen of maître d's, Elena Salvoni, 87, has served everyone from Princess Diana to Sean Connery.’
- ‘The maître d's also have to keep up with who has dined at Nobu recently.’
- ‘It was a time when players played for the love of the game, working as maître d's and salesmen and pipe-fitters in the off season to put food on the table.’
- ‘Spector dropped large tips, $100 or more each, to waiters, bartenders, maître d's and other service-industry friends who comped his drinks.’
- ‘No one works a room like Ralph Fredericks, the flamboyant maître d' who keeps the mood light at the new Famoso.’
- 1.1The manager of a hotel.
Mid 16th century: French, literally master of (the) house.