One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in England and Wales) a school that is funded by a local education authority.‘parents across the country breathed a sigh of relief as plans to harmonize term dates for all maintained schools were unveiled’
- ‘The gap between boys and girls at GCSE level is less in independent schools than in maintained schools.’
- ‘In January 2004, both head teacher and deputy head vacancy rates in maintained schools were the lowest they had been since 1997.’
- ‘The support given by the LEA in the six maintained schools played an important part in the schools' development.’
- ‘Teachers in maintained schools have to be available for work for 195 days in any year.’
- ‘Our target to inspect every maintained school in England within a four-year period was achieved.’
- ‘The head teacher of a maintained school may exclude a pupil from the school for a fixed period or permanently.’
- ‘Only 8 per cent of pupils doing GCSEs in England's maintained schools took Spanish in 2002.’
- ‘In maintained schools, the average number of half days missed by pupils without permission was 15 in secondary schools and eight in primaries.’
- ‘Subject to any other statutory provisions, the conduct of a maintained school shall be under the control of the school's governing body.’
- ‘There are over 1,800 maintained schools with sixth forms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.