Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The principal mast of a ship, typically the second mast in a sailing ship of three or more masts.→ main
spar, boom, yard, gaff, foremast, mainmast, topmast, mizzenmast, mizzen, royal mastView synonyms
- ‘Its gun-ports were visible even at this distance, and a flag, unidentifiable, waved defiantly atop the mainmast.’
- ‘Dolphin pulled past them and assaulted the outside schooner, her guns taking out the mainmast.’
- ‘‘Look,’ Rueben said, and turned, pointing up to the top of the mainmast, at the crow's next.’
- ‘The mainmast groaned slightly under the strain of the wind-filled sails.’
- ‘He saw how close to the mainmast the commodore was and grinned suddenly.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.