One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large high-speed computer, especially one supporting numerous workstations or peripherals.
- ‘Unless you are using a mainframe computer, the level of risk to data loss and theft from unauthorized access is growing daily.’
- ‘In those days, mainframe computers were coming into usage and electronic calculators were also just appearing.’
- ‘Despite the proliferation of computers of every size, mainframes still house most of the world's data.’
- ‘IBM was at that time the largest supplier of mainframe computer systems.’
- ‘Firms such as IBM could sell a mainframe computer for just under £½ million pounds in today's money.’
- ‘On its higher end Unix and mainframe systems, IBM uses in-house technology for these types of tasks.’
- ‘Terabytes of storage residing on tape is more economical than residing on mainframes in open systems.’
- ‘An aging mainframe system was left untouched, instead of being replaced.’
- ‘All data were entered into a SAS database using the mainframe computer at UNMC.’
- ‘IBM has tried to keep customers interested by adding Linux support to its mainframe boxes.’
- ‘IBM mainframe computers proved to have more than four-year lives, but not by much.’
- ‘That $10,000 was an unprecedented value compared with the cost of mainframes and minicomputers.’
- ‘You may be able to cut the energy mainframes use but a lot of energy is still required to cool the machines.’
- ‘IBM brings mainframe scalability to open systems platforms.’
- ‘There are over 140,000 employees and over 3500 people on PCs and mainframes that I support.’
- ‘The new Unix boxes and Fujitsu mainframe systems are to incorporate the same architecture, the company says.’
- ‘Thirteen years ago, three airlines pooled their mainframe computing systems and created Worldspan.’
- ‘The new offering is designed for those who want to stay with their mainframe systems.’
- ‘Of course, it helps that mainframes have full-time technicians available to keep them up and running.’
- ‘IBM has shuffled a huge chunk of its mainframe support operations off to South Africa in a bid to cut costs.’
2The central processing unit and primary memory of a computer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.