One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One of the bearings in an engine on which the crankshaft rotates.‘an inspection revealed that one of the main bearings had failed’
- ‘We have removed the main bearings and so the first thing to do is refit some new bearings.’
- ‘The motor locked up on us, and we found that the main bearing holder had come loose, so we had a pretty big thrash to get ready for that round.’
- ‘The V6 was revised last year with a new intake system for increased performance and aluminum main bearings for improved durability.’
- ‘The glycol lubricates the main bearings, prevents the water from freezing, and can be separated from the water through heating.’
- ‘Insert a piece of welding rod or coat-hanger wire into the oil hole drilled in the main bearing.’
- ‘The main bearings have been designed to be oversize to ensure a very long working life with minimal maintenance.’
- ‘From the main oil duct, the main bearings are directly supplied with lubricating oil.’
- ‘If an engine overheats badly enough, the main bearings and connecting-rod bearings can begin to melt and deform.’
- ‘The main bearing caps are in ferrous material to maintain tight clearances and are integral to the lower half of the crankcase.’
- ‘As soon as the oil warmed up, it was apparent that the big ends and main bearings were worn and noisy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.