One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A pair of tights worn for dancing or gymnastics.‘she was dressed in a flesh-colored leotard, gauzy maillot, and a thigh-skimming tunic’
- ‘By the end of that century, the ballerina's long tutu and the premier danseur's tights, trunks and maillot became de rigueur and virtually standardized.’
2North American A woman's one-piece swimsuit.
- ‘She exhibits an understanding of the need to balance fashion and function in her sleek black maillot trimmed in white.’
- ‘Caitlin was surprised to find that despite being totally immersed in the pool, the white maillot she wore had not become soaking wet.’
- ‘One-pieces are sexy without revealing too much: try the lilac maillot with three cut-out circles outlined in dark purple.’
- ‘She adjusts the straps of a chocolate maillot and frowns at herself in the mirror.’
- ‘Her ‘Jessica’ macramé maillot was absolutely beautiful, with a wide navel plunging centre, and creamy touch.’
- ‘Sculpted by the raking light, the bathers are russet and gold in the sun, vibrant in blue and red two-piece swimsuits, trunks, a maillot, absorbed in the folding of towels and blankets.’
3A jersey or top, especially one worn in sports such as cycling.
- ‘After the epic 120-mile escape on Saturday that gave him the stage win, the King of the Mountains jersey and the maillot jaune, reality set in on the first hairpins of this climb.’
- ‘And he is the outstanding favourite to finish in Paris wearing the maillot jaune, the yellow jersey of race leader, this year.’
- ‘Instead the maillot jaune now sits on the shoulders of Gonzalez de Galdeano, the first Spaniard to lead the Tour since Miguel Indurain in 1995.’
- ‘Since then he has known both glory and disaster, but yesterday as the Tour entered the Alps he managed the grand slam: the sixth stage win of his career, the maillot jaune and the polka-dot King of the Mountains jersey.’
- ‘Each year, Tour sponsor Nike makes several hundred of the coveted maillots jaunes, which actually come in 12 styles (from a short-sleeved zip-front jersey to a long-sleeved rain jacket) and four sizes (S - XL).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.