One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A pair of tights worn for dancing or gymnastics.
- ‘By the end of that century, the ballerina's long tutu and the premier danseur's tights, trunks and maillot became de rigueur and virtually standardized.’
2North American A woman's one-piece swimsuit.
- ‘She exhibits an understanding of the need to balance fashion and function in her sleek black maillot trimmed in white.’
- ‘One-pieces are sexy without revealing too much: try the lilac maillot with three cut-out circles outlined in dark purple.’
- ‘Sculpted by the raking light, the bathers are russet and gold in the sun, vibrant in blue and red two-piece swimsuits, trunks, a maillot, absorbed in the folding of towels and blankets.’
- ‘She adjusts the straps of a chocolate maillot and frowns at herself in the mirror.’
- ‘Caitlin was surprised to find that despite being totally immersed in the pool, the white maillot she wore had not become soaking wet.’
- ‘Her ‘Jessica’ macramé maillot was absolutely beautiful, with a wide navel plunging centre, and creamy touch.’
3A jersey or top, especially one worn in sports such as cycling.
- ‘After the epic 120-mile escape on Saturday that gave him the stage win, the King of the Mountains jersey and the maillot jaune, reality set in on the first hairpins of this climb.’
- ‘Instead the maillot jaune now sits on the shoulders of Gonzalez de Galdeano, the first Spaniard to lead the Tour since Miguel Indurain in 1995.’
- ‘Since then he has known both glory and disaster, but yesterday as the Tour entered the Alps he managed the grand slam: the sixth stage win of his career, the maillot jaune and the polka-dot King of the Mountains jersey.’
- ‘Each year, Tour sponsor Nike makes several hundred of the coveted maillots jaunes, which actually come in 12 styles (from a short-sleeved zip-front jersey to a long-sleeved rain jacket) and four sizes (S - XL).’
- ‘And he is the outstanding favourite to finish in Paris wearing the maillot jaune, the yellow jersey of race leader, this year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.