One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A list of the names and addresses of people to whom material such as advertising matter, information, or a magazine may be mailed, especially regularly.
- ‘I'm picking up my email on the web this week and next, which has reminded me of all the mass mailing lists I'm on.’
- ‘After some failed attempts to get off their mailing list, he decided to take matters into his own hands.’
- ‘In direct mail, a mailing list is not just a way of reaching your market - it is the market.’
- ‘If you post messages to popular mailing lists or put your email address on web pages, you dramatically increase the chances that you'll get a lot of spam.’
- ‘It is also important to understand that a database is not just another name for a mailing list.’
- ‘The vast majority of sites gave users no choice about inclusion on mailing lists or having their name passed on to affiliates or third parties.’
- ‘One of the major sources of mailing lists for those who send out spam is addresses posted on websites.’
- ‘Managing mailing lists of the names of the key individuals who already were, or might become, clients was an important management process.’
- ‘For more details or to be put on the mailing list for local event information, contact Lisa Clift.’
- ‘Once you have registered on the mailing list, information on the availability of applications will be emailed to you.’
- ‘Stores will send you promotions in their newsletters along with special discounts for being on their mailing lists.’
- ‘The irony is that most consumers are happy to see their names included on mailing lists.’
- ‘With a mailing list members send e-mails to a central computer which then mails them to every other member.’
- ‘The use of mass mailing lists within companies means that lots of people get mail that has nothing to do with them.’
- ‘About 80 teenagers are on a mailing list for information about the progress of the skateboarding area.’
- ‘Customers are able to register for specialised mailing lists so they can receive news and sale updates when items of interest come up for sale.’
- ‘For years I have only used the address for mailing lists.’
- ‘In the past few years he has gathered 150,000 names from telephone directories and mailing lists.’
- ‘Anyone whose address is known by one of these companies may receive mail for years afterwards because their mailing lists are passed around.’
- ‘Their names and contact information must be included in the mailing list for the September magazine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.