One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small van used for carrying mail.‘a mail van brought the mail to rural post offices’
- ‘The Community Council, businesses etc., have to sit in a car and wait for the mail van or go elsewhere.’
- ‘The dispute escalated as strikers were attacked by police protecting scab workers and mail vans, and subjected to mass arrests.’
- ‘The Post Office mail van didn't even stop.’
- ‘"This will further affect the smooth delivery of mail, as daily around 20 mail vans operate from the station," the members said.’
- ‘A few years later, mail vans were used to collect mail from post boxes and delivered to the stations.’
- ‘The boxes were loaded into the school mail van for delivery!’
- ‘Under the deal, mail vans would deliver the post to the postpersons' homes.’
- ‘The yellow one on the left hand side is a model of an old-fashioned Swiss mail van.’
- ‘He was on trial at Burnley Crown Court for a mail van hold-up.’
- ‘In peace time, the mail vans urge people to "post early" but in wartime the message is "be brief".’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.