Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The selling of goods to customers by mail, generally involving selection from a special catalog.‘available by mail order only’[as modifier] ‘a mail-order distributor of generic drugs’
- ‘The products are only available by mail order from Pippa's Natural Healthcare Clinic.’
- ‘The birth of these small mail-order companies grew into today's wholesale businesses.’
- ‘This year the tubers will be offered in the centre's mail order catalogue.’
- ‘One of the things many mail-order retailers offer is a selection of bulbs that aren't available everywhere.’
- ‘Aquilegias can be raised from seed with a good choice of popular types easily available by mail order from seed companies.’
- ‘The hits people want to hear them play are freely available second-hand, in mail-order collections, and fairly cheaply in record shops.’
- ‘In the past I have always been impressed with any food I have ordered via mail order.’
- ‘Purchase wood veneer at craft stores and through woodworking mail-order catalogs.’
- ‘I would suggest mail order and specialist computer magazines as your initial marketing channels.’
- ‘We ordered our Christmas turkey today from Kelly Turkeys, mail order.’
- ‘Jill is building up the number of galleries stocking her work and hopes to be able to sell her ceramics by mail order catalogue soon.’
- ‘Order daffodil and tulip bulbs from mail order suppliers for planting this autumn.’
- ‘Mushroom kits that provide spawn and detailed instructions are available through mail order.’
- ‘You can also order jujube trees from several mail-order nurseries.’
- ‘There are a selection of less expensive bears too, all available by mail order.’
- ‘Many of the forcing jars available today at florist shops or via mail-order catalogues are reproductions of famous designs from the Victorian era or earlier.’
- ‘As the twentieth century wore on, railroads and mail-order catalogs supplanted the country stores.’
- ‘In addition to local nurseries, hostas are available from several mail-order nurseries.’
- ‘Bulbs are widely available this month in retail nurseries and mail-order catalogs.’
mail order/ˈmāl ˈˌôrdər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.